What is it?
Growing Well had a raft of exciting community fundraising planned for 2020. As well as missing out on the fun of coming together and enjoying new experiences, the cancellation of community fundraising events due to COVID-19 has a significant financial impact on our charity.
Now, the organisers of the biggest mass participation sports events in the country – including the London Marathon and Parkrun – have come together to create a fundraising campaign to save the UK’s charities.
The campaign, The 2.6 Challenge, will launch on Sunday 26 April and we’re asking you to dream up an activity based around the numbers 2.6 or 26 and fundraise by creating a 2.6 Challenge fundraising page via our Growing Well JustGiving page. You can set up your page here: https://twopointsixchallenge.justgiving.com/get-involved?charityId=2806613
The 2.6 Challenge is open to anyone of any age – the only requirement is that the activity must follow the Government guidelines on exercise and social distancing!
So how will this help Growing Well?
Growing Well is an inspirational mental health charity based on an organic farm in Sizergh, just outside of Kendal. We offer a unique combination of vocational horticultural and catering activity, therapeutic support and training, which benefits around 150 local people per year.
Since the lockdown, our field and kitchen have closed but our therapeutic team has continued to offer occupationally focused mental health support to our 80 current participants via telephone and video. This approach helps people to find practical ways to cope with the unsettling and often isolating circumstances presented by COVID-19. It also reduces their reliance on statutory services such as visits to the GP or Emergency Department.
Staff have been redeployed to our field so that it is maintained and safe to return to as soon as lockdown is over. Although 200 hours of labour per week down from when we had everyone here mucking in with us, we are continuing to produce organic veg boxes (our beloved “crop share”) for 70 local households.
Our service is free of charge to its participants, many of whom find cost a barrier to therapeutic activity, support and training. However, this is only possible because of the support of our amazing donors and community fundraisers – like you!
The 2.6 Challenge allows you and us to keep up that momentum and have some fun in the process.
Let’s not miss out on all of the joy of the walks, talks, quizzes, gigs and other challenges we had planned for this year. Let’s get creative and fundraise together in a slightly different – but equally eccentric – way.
We know that once COVID-19 has passed, mental health support is going to be a crucial resource for even more people within our community. That’s why we have to keep going and get to the other side of this, so that we can be there for more people. Right now is when Growing Well needs fundraising the most.
All funds raised for Growing Well through your 2.6 Challenge JustGiving page will be transferred directly so the direct impact of your fundraising can be felt immediately by those who most need it. There’s also a national pot of money which will be shared out according to how much the challenge has raised directly for each charity.
What kind of challenge can I do?
Being a mental health charity based within a horticultural enterprise, we are rather partial to vegetable-themed anythings!
But don’t be constrained by that! You can do any creative challenge based around the numbers 2.6 (or 26). You can be any age, any fitness… the only rule is that Government guidelines on exercise and social distancing must be observed.
Here are some of our ideas:
- Tell your family 26 “Vegetable Joke of the Day”s in a row (drawing from our huge Growing Well repertoire, if needed) – they will sponsor you to stop!
- Dress up in a pea costume and run or walk 2.6 miles (pea costume optional although we have one you can borrow!)
- Make and share 2.6kg of Catering Manager Sarah’s Wild garlic falafel
- Plant 26 vegetable seeds or plug plants in your garden
- Get 26 people together on Zoom and host a vegetable-themed quiz
- Paint a vegetable picture with a strict time limit of 2.6 hours (or 2.6 minutes!)
We cannot wait to see and share what you come up with !
There are just five simple steps to take:
- Dream up your 2.6 challenge – if you need help there are lots of ideas here
- Head to https://twopointsixchallenge.justgiving.com/get-involved?charityId=2806613 to donate £26 – or whatever you can afford – to Growing Well or to set up a fundraising page
- Ask all your friends and family to sponsor you and challenge them to do their own 2.6 Challenge
- Complete your challenge
- Share a photo or video of your challenge with us and the nation on social media with #TwoPointSixChallenge – don’t forget to tag in Growing Well.
Good luck and thank you!