Most of our participants are referred to us by local GP’s and mental health professionals...
(The Learning section of this website has information on the support we provide for identified vulnerable children. We work in partnership with schools and other providers to deliver this service.)
Growing Well does not operate a secure environment, so may not be appropriate for an individual who poses a significant risk to themselves or others. We support people who are able to function independently (for example use public transport to access us) but who may be experiencing depression, anxiety or more complex mental health problems. We recruit on a rolling basis for our core vocational provision (Monday to Thursday).
We can support people with limited mobility and wheelchair users. We do not support people with learning disabilities.
- The first step to getting involved at Growing Well is for a prospective participant to visit the farm. We can arrange a visit time to suit them. Many people come for an initial visit with a friend, family member or a support worker.
- Our Volunteer Coordinator will show them Growing Well’s work on the farm, giving the prospective participant a good opportunity to see what a placement with us might be like. We will discuss any concerns they might have and find out what they wish to gain from a placement.
- They will be invited to complete a short, one page application form, which asks them to nominate someone who could provide a mental health reference, usually a member of the community mental health team or a GP.
- We will then write to the referee to ask them to support the placement. Once their support has been received the placement can start on a date and time that suits the applicant.
- Growing Well holds a social care contract with Cumbria County Council.
- We operate a free minibus service for participants from Kendal on Tuesdays, and Barrow, Dalton and Ulverston on Thursdays. We are also easily accessed by public transport from most parts of South Cumbria (we will meet participants’ travel expenses).